West Virginia License Plate Information Summary
The West Virginia DMV will issue your new license plates when you register your first vehicle. You can then transfer your plates to a new vehicle when you buy it. You'll need to also get a sticker that identifies when you need to renew your license plates.
West Virginia License Plates Offered
Your dealership will provide you with temporary West Virginia license plates while they work to get you your plates.
Temporary plates are not available to people who purchase their vehicles in a private sale.
West Virginia offers standard, disability, vanity, military, and specialty plates. The DMV can offer you a list of what kind of plates are currently available. They will also give you a sticker you need to put on your rear West Virginia license plates.
When You Need To Get West Virginia License Plates
- When you move to the state, you get 30 days to obtain your West Virginia license plates.
- If you buy from a dealership, they will get you your official plates.
- Should you buy in a private sale, you must get your West Virginia license plates the same day as the sale.
Keeping Your License Plates Up To Date
You'll renew your West Virginia license plates when you renew your registration. You will then get a new sticker to put on your rear plate.
If Your West Virginia License Plates Are Stolen
- If your West Virginia license plates are damaged, you can get new plates with the same plate number.
- If they are stolen, you will have to get a new number for your West Virginia license plates.
They can be ordered online or in person. New plates will cost $10.50. A new sticker will cost $10.
If you order online, simply follow the directions provided. If you order in person, you will have to bring proof of insurance with you.
Transferring Or Surrendering Your License Plates
You can always transfer your West Virginia plates to a new vehicle you purchase. But you will have to surrender your West Virginia plates if you move to a new state or cancel your insurance.
West Virginia License Plate Costs
New license plates in West Virginia cost $51.50.