2012 Chevrolet Volt Reviews, Ratings & Specs
What's an electric car doing with a gasoline engine? Conquering "range anxiety" according to Chevrolet. For the first 35 miles after a full charge, the Chevy Volt runs solely on stored electricity. After that, a small gasoline engine/generator kicks in to deliver 379 miles in total. With no range limitations, the Volt lets anyone drive an electric car (35 miles at time, at least).
Chevrolet Volt Models & Trims
5dr HB - $10,185 - $12,044
- Navigation System (Optional)
- Heated Seats (Optional)
- Back-Up Camera (Optional)
- Premium Audio (Optional)
- Smart Device Integration (Optional)
- Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Keyless Start
- Keyless Entry
- Automated Emergency Braking
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Cross-Traffic Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
I like the console - the layout looks futuristic.
It is one of few that is truly all electric and of those few it has an on-board generator that powers the batteries with gas. So, unlike Tesla, it is good for around town and still functional on longer trips as a traditional, gas-powered vehicle.
2012 overall Chevrolet volt review.
For Sale Near Me
Crash Test Results: Front, Side & Rollover
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides consumers with information about crash protection and rollover safety
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is a non-profit group which conducts safety testing beyond federal regulations. "Good" is the highest rating.
- Moderate Overlap Front G
- Side G
- Roof Strength G
- Driver-side Overlap Front N/A
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist includes Traction Control *
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED illumination
- Air bags, dual-stage frontal, side-impact and knee for driver and front passenger and roof-rail side-impact for front and rear outboard seating positions includes Passenger Sensing System (Head Curtain Side Air Bags are designed to help reduce the risk of head and neck injuries to front and rear seat occupants on the near side of certain side-impact collisions. A note about child safety: Always use safety belts and the correct child restraint for your child's age and size. Even with air bags and the Passenger Sensing System, children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate infant, child or booster seat. Never place a rear-facing infant restraint in the front seat of any vehicle equipped with an active frontal air bag. See your vehicle Owner's Handbook for more information.)
- OnStar, 3 years of Directions and Connections plan includes Automatic Crash Response, Emergency Services, Crisis Assist, Stolen Vehicle Assistance including Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and Remote Ignition Block, Remote Door Unlock, Turn-by-Turn Navigation with Destination Download and OnStar eNav (where available), OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Roadside Assistance, Remote Horn and Lights, and Hands Free Calling. (Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations.) *
- Automatic Crash Response *
- Pedestrian friendly alert, driver activated horn chirp using turn signal lever
- Safety belts, 3-point, all seating positions includes front seat dual pretensioners
- Lockout switch, child, rear doors and windows, electronic control
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren), for child safety seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
J.D. Power Ratings
Powertrain Quality ?
Body & Interior Design ?
Safety Recalls (2)
Electronic Stability Control , Service Brakes Jun 27, 2013Report Receipt Date:Jun 27, 2013NHTSA Campaign:13V271000Summary:General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2012 Chevrolet Volt vehicles manufactured March 1, 2012, through April 17, 2012. Due to a brake pressure modulator valve problem, the vehicles do not relieve brake pressure from the front brakes during an anti-lock brake system (ABS), electronic stability control (ESC), or traction control event. One or both front brakes may lock up and not release. Thus, these vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) No. 126, "Electronic Stability Control Systems"' and No. 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems."Consequence:If the brakes lock up it could cause a loss of steering control and/or a lengthened distance needed to stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.Remedy:General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will install a new brake pressure modulator valve free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 12, 2013. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-866-694-6546. GM's recall number is 13184.
Engine And Engine Cooling Mar 13, 2015Report Receipt Date:Mar 13, 2015NHTSA Campaign:15V145000Summary:General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2011-2013 Volt vehicles manufactured August 25, 2010, to June 26, 2013. If the driver exits the vehicle without turning off the electrical system, the battery may drain low enough that the gasoline engine will automatically start itself to recharge the electric battery.Consequence:If the engine runs for an extended period of time in an enclosed space, there may be a build up of carbon monoxide, increasing the risk of personal injury.Remedy:GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the engine management software to limit the time that the stationary vehicle can be left in the ON position, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020. GM's number for this recall is 14617.