2012 BMW 3 Series
Spacious comfort and style. Enjoy the details.
2012 BMW 328i 4 door sedan.
Great car, bad front door handles.
For Sale Near Me
Crash Test Results: Front, Side & Rollover
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides consumers with information about crash protection and rollover safety
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is a non-profit group which conducts safety testing beyond federal regulations. "Good" is the highest rating.
- Moderate Overlap Front G
- Side M
- Roof Strength N/A
- Driver-side Overlap Front N/A
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Dynamic stability control (DSC) including brake fade compensation, start-off assistant, brake drying, and brake stand-by features, with dynamic traction control (DTC)
- Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
- Programmable daytime running lights *
- Corona headlight-rings functioning as daytime running lights *
- Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology, dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment, and front-passenger seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment *
- Front and rear head protection system (HPS) *
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags and front and rear head protection system (HPS) *
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags *
- Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with passenger's airbag off indicator *
- Crash sensor activates battery safety terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery, automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights *
- BMW's advanced safety system for integrated deployment of passive and active safety features *
- Impact sensor that activates battery safety terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery and turns on hazard lights, interior lights and unlock doors *
- Automatic safety belt assistant *
- Automatic safety-belt pretensioners at front seating positions *
- Automatic locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger-seat safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat *
- Front safety belts with automatic pretensioners *
- LATCH attachments on child-restraint safety installation
- Child safety rear door locks *
- Emergency trunk release *
- Tire pressure monitor
- Rollover protection system *
Safety Recalls (5)
Service Brakes, Hydraulic Jan 16, 2019Report Receipt Date:Jan 16, 2019NHTSA Campaign:14V627000Summary:BMW of North America LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon, 2012-2014 BMW 320i Sedan, 328i Sedan, 320i xDrive Sedan, 328i xDrive Sedan, 2012-2013 BMW 528i Sedan, 528i xDrive Sedan, 2013-2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i Sports Activity Vehicle, 2013-2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i Sports Activity Vehicle, 2012-2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i Roadster, and 2014 BMW 428i Coupe, and 428i xDrive Coupe. Due to insufficient lubrication, the vacuum pump that supplies brake power assistance may fail. Note: This recall is an expansion of recall 13V-454.Consequence:A failure of the brake vacuum pump results in a reduction in braking power that could increase the risk of a crash.Remedy:BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install a locking ring in the camshaft to retain the camshaft seal disk in the proper location, free of charge. The recall began on December 2, 2014. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Air Bags Jan 16, 2019Report Receipt Date:Jan 16, 2019NHTSA Campaign:16V071000Summary:BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 128i and 135i coupes and convertibles and 1 Series M coupes, 2006-2011 325i, 325xi, 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 330i, 330xi, 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive Sedans, 2009-2011 335d sedans, 2006-2012 325xiT, 328i and 328xi sports wagons, 2007-2013 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive, 335is and M3 Coupes and Convertibles, 2013-2015 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i and X1 xDrive35i SAVs, 2007-2010 X3 xDrive30i SAVs, 2007-2013 X5 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive35i, X5 xDrive48i, X5 xDrive50i and X5 M SAVs, 2009-2013 BMW X5 xDrive35d SAVs, 2008-2014 X6 xDrive35i, X6 xDrive50i, and X6 M SACs, 2010-2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i SACs and 2008-2011 M3 Sedan vehicles. Upon deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.Consequence:In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.Remedy:BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver's frontal air bag module or inflator depending on the vehicle model, free of charge. Parts are not currently available. Owners will be mailed an interim notification beginning March 31, 2016. A second notice will be mailed when remedy parts are available. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Service Brakes, Hydraulic Jan 16, 2019Report Receipt Date:Jan 16, 2019NHTSA Campaign:13V454000Summary:BMW of North America LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 320i, 328i, 320i xDrive, and 328i xDrive sedans; model year 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagons; model year 2012-2013 528i and 528i xDrive sedans, model year 2013-2014 X1 sDrive28i and X1 xDrive28i vehicles and model year 2012-2014 Z4 sDrive28i roadsters. Due to insufficient lubrication, the vacuum pump that supplies brake power assistance may fail.Consequence:A failure of the brake vacuum pump results in a reduction in braking power that could increase the risk of a crash.Remedy:BMW will notify owners, and dealers will modify the vehicles to prevent insufficient vacuum pump lubrication, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin in November 2013. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Seats > Front Assembly > Head Restraint Jan 16, 2019Report Receipt Date:Jan 16, 2019NHTSA Campaign:12V176000Summary:BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 BMW 3-SERIES VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 19, 2011, THROUGH MARCH 18, 2012, THAT HAVE FRONT SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS THAT EXCEED THE DOWNWARD MOVEMENT LIMIT OF 25MM IN THE HIGHEST POSITION. THUS, THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 202A,"HEAD RESTRAINTS."Consequence:IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLE CRASH, THE HEAD RESTRAINT MAY UNEXPECTEDLY MOVE DOWN SLIGHTLY IF IT WAS ADJUSTED TO THE FULLY EXTENDED POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY.Remedy:BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL ATTACH A CLAMP TO THE FRONT SEAT HEAD RESTRAINT POSTS, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
Exterior LightingNHTSA Campaign:15V520000Summary:BMW North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2012-2015 320i, 320xi, 328i, 328xi, 335i, 335xi, and ActiveHybrid3 vehicles manufactured October 20, 2011, to June 22, 2015, 2014-2015 328xi Sports Wagon vehicles manufactured March 21, 2013, to March 17, 2015, 2014-2015 328d, 328xd vehicles manufactured June 28, 2013, to April 21, 2015, and 2014-2015 328xd Sports Wagon vehicles manufactured July 5, 2013, to April 21, 2015. The affected vehicles may have been programmed with new software that inadvertently makes the front side marker lights inoperative in conjunction with the parking lights or the headlights. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."Consequence:If the side marker lights do not illuminate, the vehicle may be less visible at night, increasing the risk of a crash.Remedy:BMW will notify owners, and dealers will upload revised software to correct the issue, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 9, 2015. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417 or by email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.